Stanley - DeSoto Parish Louisiana

Stanley

Oak Grove, as it was originally called, was incorporated on April 22, 1953. However, because there was already an incorporated Oak Grove in West Carroll Parish and state law forbade two places having the same name, DeSoto had to make a name change to assure receiving its share of tobacco and cigarette tax money at the time. Several proposed names were submitted at a meeting of the citizens where everyone present voted his or her choice. The name Stanley was chosen in honor and respect of the deceased "Uncle Jack Stanley" whose life had been dedicated to helping many orphan boys.